Contents HOA

Heart of America

Return To Previous Page


Contents
Histories
      Missouri
Histories
      Heart of America
Histories
      Blue District KSDA
The History of Square
      Dancing in Missouri
Central District History
      From The "Central
      Missouri" Website
      By Judy Pottinger
Round Dance History
      From The "Central
      Missouri" Website
      By Judy Pottinger
Square Dance History
      From The "Central
      Missouri" Website
      By Judy Pottinger
Sunflower Squares
Printable History  I 

May 2006

Sunflower Squares

The Sunflower Squares was one of the first clubs to be organized in the Kansas City area. As a result of its successful operation, it has had a great influence on the organization of other square dance clubs. It has always been known as a club composed of members who enjoy fine square dancing, friendliness, and fun. It is hoped that these fine attributes will always remain a guiding force in this organization.

During the fall season of 1950, 224 couples attended an intermediate square dance class conducted at Shadracks Hall by Frank and Ursula Pecinovsky. In January of 1951, 100 couples from the square dance class were selected as members of a square dance club to be known as "Sunflower Squares". The Club operated during the spring of that year "without officers" and under Frank and Ursula's direction.

On August 10, 1951, a meeting of twelve representative couples was held for the purpose of electing officers and forming a permanent organization. The first officers of the club were:

Glen Iddings, President
Bob Anderson, Vice President
Al Duncan, Treasurer
Tede Rodman, Secretary
Bill Warner was selected as membership chairman.

The Blue Ridge Boys, Gail Cavanah, Bob Guth, and Gene Hayter, were selected as musicians and played for every dance from the beginning of the club without missing a single night. The Sunflower Squares enjoyed their music for a longer continuous period than any other club in the City.

Frank "Pec" Pecinovsky was the regular caller for the first five years. Due to business conflicts, it was necessary for him to relinquish his club calling in the fall of 1956. Jim Knight, one of Kansas City's outstanding callers, was selected to replace him. Jim continued to call until 1969. During his tenure, the Club changed from live to recorded music.

In 1969, Norman Madison, one of the finest callers in the area, became the Club's third caller. The same year, the Club moved to its new location--The Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, 91st and Mission Road, Overland Park, Kansas.

In January 1991, a Special Square Dance was held to commemorate the Club's 40th Anniversary. And, on April 29, 1994, another Special Square Dance was held to recognize Norman Madison's 25 years of continuous calling for the Sunflower Squares. Don Ashworth was the M.C.

Although membership has declined from that of earlier years, (it is now at about 40 member couples) the Club remains one of the pre-eminent groups in the area. The Club exhibits the same friendliness and enthusiasm envisioned by its founders over 40 years ago.

Submitted by, Norman Sigle, President Sunflower Squares

12/6/10